In this article, we are going to see how to prepare Jeevamrutham-an organic manure.
Jeevamrutha is organic manure which is considered to be a panacea for the prosperity of small farmers. Jeevamrutha provides essential nutrients for plant growth viz., nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Application of Jeevamrutha to soil improves the soil considerably and also encourages microbial activity in the soil.
|S.No||Ingredient Name||Quantity in Litres / Kgs|
|2||Cow Dung ( Fresh )||10 Kgs|
|3||Cow Urine||5 to 10 Litres|
|5||Flour of any pulse||2 Kgs|
|6||Soil from same Land||1 Handful|
***Above data is for one acre only
Read also : How to make organic compost from kitchen waste?
- If Jaggery is not available, use Palm Jaggery, if both are not available add 4 liters of tender coconut.
- Use Greengram or Blackgram or CowPea flour.
- Living Soil should be used.
- Please note that the stick (neem stick is better or any pole) used for mixing the ingredients should be cleaned before & after the usage so as to avoid maggots formations in the manure.
Read also: Type of Bio-fertilizers and its advantages
Mix all of them and keep them in a shaded place for 48 hours.
Method of Storage
The manure should be kept in the shade and covered with a wire mesh or plastic mosquito net to prevent houseflies from laying eggs and the formation of maggots (worms) in the solution. This is applicable during the preparation as well as during the shelf life of the manure as well.
Effective storage time
The manure can be stored for only 1 week due to unbearable overpowering stench.
- The manure can be mixed with irrigation water.
- The manure can also be used with Drip Irrigation.
- Also, can spray 10% filtered manure on the crops.
- The manure should be mixed thoroughly twice daily (in the morning & evening) for 2 days before usage
- The manure should be applied when the land is wet for the plants.
- Generally, it is accepted that every 15 days the manure can be applied.
- For even better results, the manure can also be used thrice in a month.
Note: Please note that once we use Jeevamrutham, we shouldn’t water the plants for 12 hrs.