In this article, we are going to see the types and advantages of intercropping in Agriculture.
Intercropping and Crop rotation are elective methodologies connected in Multiple Cropping.
Intercropping is a technique for growing at least two harvests together in closeness on a similar land.
Intercropping helps in preventing pest and diseases to spread all through the field and furthermore increases soil fertility.
There are four types of Intercropping:
Row Inter Cropping – Growing at least two harvests in the meantime with no less than one yield planted in rows. Example: Annual products, for example, rice, corn and pineapple are ordinarily developed as intercrop between the rows. Banana, Papaya, Coffee and Cacao are generally developed in numerous lines.
Strip Inter Cropping – In this strategy at least two harvests become together in strips sufficiently wide to permit isolate generation of yields utilizing mechanical actualizes however sufficiently close for the products to interact. Example: Wheat, Soybean and Corn
Mixed Inter Cropping – Growing at least two yields in the meantime with no unmistakable line arrangement. Example: Annual harvests, for example, developing bean, corn and squash.
Read also: Soil Management and its Importance
Relay Inter Cropping – Growing a moment trim is planted into a current yield when it has blossomed however before harvesting. Example: Cassava, Cotton and Sweet Potato
In Crop rotation or Sequential cropping, at least two harvests are grown in a steady progression in a similar land parcel. Example: Corn – Tubers – Squash – Root Crops – Tomato – Peas – Brassicas
Advantages of Intercropping
- Reduction in soil erosion and controls pests and weeds;
- Intercropping with cash crops is higher profitable;
- It acts as an insurance against failure of crops in abnormal year;
- Inter-crops maintain the soil fertility as the nutrient uptake is made from both layers of soil;
- Inter-cropping gives additional yield income/unit area than sole cropping;
- It helps to avoid inter-crop competition and thus a higher number of crop plants are grown per unit area;
- Inter cropping system utilizes resources efficiently and increases the productivity
- Intercrops provide shade and support to the other crop.