In this article, we are going to see the Importance of Millets Cultivation in India.
Millet’s are dry spell safe crops. The significant Millet crops developed in India are Sorghum, Pearl Millet and Finger Millet. Also, India grows a rich cluster of biogenetically different and native assortments of “Little Millet’s” like Kodo, Kutki, Chenna, and Sanwa.
Importance of Millet’s Cultivation in India:
- Millet’s comprise a significant staple in the semiarid tropic and guarantee food and nutritional security for needy individuals, who can’t develop other food crops because of poor rainfall and soil fertility. They are profoundly nutritious and are utilized by people in the rural area. They can grow in low to medium fertile soils and in areas of low rainfall. Jowar, Bajra, and Ragi are the significant Millet’s developed in India.
- Millet’s are the good choice for farmers to achieve primary goals of Farming e.g profit, versatility, and manageability.
- The Millet’s production relies upon some farming practices
- Millet’s are the ‘marvel grains’ of the future as they are drought resistant that need few external inputs.
- Millet’s are meant for dual purpose. It is used as both food and fodder, thus providing food and job opportunity to millions of people that contribute to the economic efficiency of farming.
- Millet’s helps in the environmental change by reducing the atmospheric carbon pressure CO2.
- Millet farming does not rely on the use of chemical fertilizers.
- Millet’s does not attract pests.
- Millet’s are highly tolerant to change in temperatures, droughts, and floods. Naturally, they grow well in dry zones or rain-fed regions.
- Irrigation requirement is less as compared to other crops due to an efficient root system
- Millet’s hold economic significance in the highly populated regions to meet the food demand .
- Storage life is comparatively high about 2 years or beyond.
- Millet farming needs a small investment.
- Inputs added to millet’s are mostly organic.
- Millet’s produce more turners or branches compared to other crops.
- They provide both food and fodder.
Hope you enjoyed reading the importance of millets cultivation in India and find it useful.
Types of horticulture crops grown in India
Eshram Online Registration and Benefits
Ideal Crop to Grow in Red Soil