In this article, we are going to see the Best Onion Varieties in India for Higher Yield and Profits.
Onion crop has a huge market in India. Onion grows in all types of soils such as sandy loam, clay loam & heavy soils. Onion seeds take about 6-8 weeks to sprout. I It can be cultivated in both Rabi & Kharif seasons. There are about twenty eight improved varieties developed in India by onion breeders working in various Agricultural Universities.
See also: PM Kisan New Farmer Registration in India
There is a great demand of seed of red skinned varieties at national level. viz N-53 (Niphed53) and Agrifound dark Red during Kharif Season; Pusa Red and Arka Niketan during Rabi season. These cultivars have high degree adaptability in India. Other red skinned improved cultivars grown in various states of India are Pusa Madhvi, Arka Kalyan, N-241, Punjab Red Round, Punjab Narroya and Punjab Selection, whereas white skinned are Pusa white Flat, Pusa white Round and S-48. The white skinned are suitable for dehydration. These cultivars are pungent, mature in 120145 days, bulb weight from 70-150 g, TSS ranges from 11-15 %. and total yield ranging from 250350 quintals per hectare.
See also: Best 15 Agriculture Websites in India
Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Bihar & Andhra Pradesh are the major onion producing states in India.
Top Onion Varieties Grown in India
- The colors of this type of onions are red.
- Yields at least 200 to 300 quintals per hectare.
- No special storage place required.
- Weighs from 70 to 80 grams.
- The crop time is 120-125 days.
- The shape of this variety of onion is slightly flattened and round.
- Yields 400 to 500 quintals onion per hectare
- Crop matures 125 days from sowing.
Hisar – 2:
- This variety of onion is dark red and brown in color
- Crop time 175 days after transplanting
- Yields around 300 quintals per hectare
Pusa White Flat:
- This variety of onion is white in color
- This type of onion matures in 125 to 130 days after transplanting.
- Has good shelf life
- Yields around 280-300 quintals per hectare
- This variety of onions are roundish flat, light red, 11-13% with good keeping quality
- Crop matures in 130-135 days after transplanting.
- Yields 300-350 quintals per hectare.
Hope you enjoyed reading this article on Best Onion Varieties in India for Higher Yield and Profits.
Surface irrigation Vs Sub-surface irrigation
Types of horticulture crops grown in India
Major Types of Soils Found in India